The Glowing Edges of Al-Mukalla





Have you ever gone through the filters/effects of your image editing application, seen an totally disturbing effect, and thought: “Who in the world would ever use that for their pictures?”

I used to think that every time I saw a preview of any of my pictures with Photoshop's "Glowing Edges" filter applied.



Well, little did I know that it's never intended to be used directly on your original, flat image.
Instead, you get really beautiful results when you apply it on a duplicate of your target image, and then somehow combine the glowing edges this filter produces, to the original image. How you combine these is completely up to you. The results seem to always mesmerize…

This panorama shows the corniche (coastal road on the side of a cliff or mountain) of Yemen’s eastern port city AlMukalla. I shot with my phone about two years ago. Using a total of twenty-two layers, a few custom brushes and some heavy duty Glowing Edges action, I was able to create this final result. It reminds me a lot of one of those ’90s-style Anime series I used to watch as a child.

Of course, Glowing Edges and custom brushes aren’t the only things needed to produce something like this. Listing every single step would be too long, since this post isn’t a tutorial. Leave me a comment of you like to know more and enjoy the view!